Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Revelations

Recently someone told me how rare it is to have long-lasting good friendships. Not acquaintances, not going-out buddies, but good friends. Friends that will tell you "yes, your butt does look big in those pants", friends that you feel comfortable around to the point where there is no taboo topic, friends that ultimately become part of your family, because you both choose to remain in the friendship.

I am fortunate. Through Tony I have two great "sisters". We always joke how weird it is that we all get along so well. Our families vacation and spend holidays together, we steal each other clothes, and we fight and get mad at each other almost like real sisters do. However, we are practically family. We have not
chosen to be so close, it is just some freakish coincidence that my "one-day sisters-in-law", and I, get along so well.

I have an older cousin who is also very close to me. She is also like a "sister" to me. She tells it to me straight, she does not mince words, and she is truly a woman that I look up to. She is graceful, loving, and although
much older - hee hee - , to me the personification of beauty, grace and intelligence. We share the same birth month, and mothers that are sometimes so eerily similar that at times maybe interchangeable. But again, we did not choose to be sisterly-cousins, just another amazing coincidence that cousins ended up being so close.

Then there is Michi and Reese. You have heard of them before, I talk about them a lot. The three of us chose to be friends. Since junior high with Mich, and high school with Reese, we have remained friends. Now, I will admit, I am not the easiest friend to have. I am dramatic, I am sensitive, I am stubborn, and at times at bit unbearable. I admit it, they will agree - trust me, they
will agree. But they have put up with me, and I have in turn put up with them.

Michi and I have had an especially rollercoaster friendship. I am liberal, she is conservative; when I was out partying in college (not a lot dad!) she was the campus minister; while I vote one way, she votes another. We clashed since the day we met - I liked the New Kids on the Block (shuddup - they were good!); she was in denial over her love of the New Kids. She even went out with the boy I liked in junior high!!

Sometimes, there were months, maybe even years, where we would not talk to each other. I will admit that I do not remember 85% of the reasons of why we fought. I block those things out. Looking back on it this past weekend, I am glad I do. This past weekend was Michi's baby shower. Seeing my oldest friend beaming with her growing belly, I had an immense surge of revelations. I am so fortunate that I am able to have these two girls in my life! I feel so lucky that through out the years, through illnesses, through heartaches, through disappointments, pains and sorrows, I have been able to call on both of them, and them on me. We have celebrated birthdays together, talked on the phone secretly for hours together, I have watched them dance at their weddings, we have gotten drunk together (not that many times dad!), and have laughed over the silliest things, over, and over again.

Now I get to watch their children grow. I get to call them my nieces, and nephews, because in my heart these two girls are my chosen sisters.

So Mich, CONGRATULATIONS! I cannot wait to meet my new nephew. I cannot wait to see my oldest friend holding her son. I love you tons!

Now, without further delay, I am revealing the Secret Charlie Projects:

Secret Charlie Project 1

Pattern: Saartje's Bootees
Yarn: I have no idea. I found it in my stash - it could have belonged to my mom.
Needles: US2
Ravelry Page: Secret Charlie Project 1


Secret Charlie Project 2

Pattern: Baby Sweater on Two Needles (February) from Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmerman
Yarn: Elann Peruvian Highland Wool in Oatmeal
Needles: US6
Ravelry Page: Secret Charlie Project 2


Secret Charlie Project 3

Pattern: Organic Baby Wrapper by ms. pea (she recently got married - go congratulate her!)
Yarn: Bernat Cottontots Solid in Sweet Cream and Little Boy Blue 1 skein of each
Ravelry Page: Secret Charlie Project 3


Secret Charlie Project 4

Pattern: Organic Baby Bonnet by ms. pea
Yarn: Bernat Cottontots Solid in Sweet Cream and Little Boy Blue 1 skein of each
Ravelry Page: Secret Charlie Project 4
Modifications: I added some ribbing at the bottom cause since it seemed too loose.




Secret Charlie Project 5


Pattern: Rabbit by Debbie Bliss Special Knits
Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton-Ease in Lake
Ravelry Page: Secret Charlie Project 5
Modifications: I added a "c" for Charlie :)





Super Secret Charlie Project 6 (aka "The Little Guy")

Pattern: Little Guy by Jess Hutch
Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton-Ease in Lake
Story: At the last minute Reese and I decided to make a diaper cake for the shower. It was a test on our friendship. There may have been some wine, and perhaps some tears, and some inappropriate comments about "doing the little guy" may have been mentioned. But, I think it was a success over all.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pregnant and now crying!!! And yes, I am proudly conservative, a former college campus minister (I partied too, but not as much as Paloma - Mr. Corchon), BUT let's get one thing straight - I NEVER liked the New Kids!!!!
But I do love you too Paloma and I thank God everyday for your friendship!

10:57 AM  
Blogger reese said...

Paloma, my amazing and most talented friend, that was a beautiful post!

"if you were my girl, I'd give you diamonds and pearls, just to make you my girl".... NKOTB BABY!

11:33 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Your sister is so lucky to have a friend such as you. I love all the baby items that you have made, and I am sure your nephew will look gorgeous in them too.

5:19 PM  
Blogger maitai said...

you are so lucky to have such close and wonderful friends! have fun on your trip!!!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Just call me Ruby said...

truly gorgeous gifts for your nephew. Really beautiful and thoughtful post.

6:37 AM  
Blogger f. pea said...

You are such a sweetheart. And Joey was my favorite New Kid. Wicked awesome!

7:17 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

lots of cute secret charlie projects!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Aaah, your post made me think of all the friends in my life I have like that and I sooo appreciate them.

The gifts you made are so beautiful. I know she will cherish them forever. They will be like love to wrap around your new nephew. x

10:58 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

Girl, if you ever need a second job, you could write for Hallmark or something! I adore the Charlie gifts - I am so wanting someone to get pregnant (NOT me) so that I can make them too!

3:40 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Aww! I have precious few close girl friends like the kind you mention and I cherish them too! Your baby gifts are AWESOME - I thought I had too much secret baby knitting going on with 4 projects - you take the (diaper?) cake!

(Oh, and NKOTB was totally awesome - duh!)

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great tribute to your friends and chosen "sisters" -- and what a GREAT array of knitted gifties for little Charlie!

And I just have to say that I'm glad that your revelation at Michi's shower was that you were going to start voting for Republicans. ;)

8:02 PM  
Blogger KnitPastis said...

This is the same way I feel about my friends. I will just add that to have a friend is to be a friend. That is so true. I have had too many friends throughout my life and still have my two best friends since we were six yrs old. I am so grateful for them and their families as well. Heck, when your friends with a girl, it's just natural that their mom or family becomes like a part of your own.
Outstanding baby outfits! Totally the BEST baby knits out there girl!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

this is a beautiful post on friendship! thanks for sharing this.

sometimes the 'difficult' friends are also the best ones.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

What beautiful, tasteful, and adorable gifts. All your sisters are lucky to have you.

12:01 AM  
Blogger LG said...

I know what you mean about your friends!
I love everything you did for the baby boy!

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home