Friday, March 14, 2008

Finally Sharing this FO!

Finally showing you guys this one. I am conflicted about it to be honest (can you tell by my face). Originally this yarn was for what has now become known as the "infamous bolero disaster of 2006". When that did not work out, and I did not find anything else I wanted to knit with it, and Olga told me that I could make up a pattern for myself, I decided to copy this Free People cardigan.

I am conflicted about it because I don't LOVE it like I love other things I have made. I do not like the yarn, it pills a lot. And I did not have enough of it. I had originally intended to make the sleeves a lot longer, but I ran out of yarn. The button band won't stay down either, it drives me nuts. Oh, and I am a HORRIBLE button sewer, so the buttons fall off a lot. I had the idea that this would be a sweater I could wear all the time, I would leave it at work in case I got cold. But because of the sleeves and the length of it it just does not work like that. So, it is disappointing in a lot of areas.

However, I am proud that I did this all by myself. I looke
d at a picture, and I did the math, and I figured out the stitch pattern and I made myself a cardigan! That I am happy about. Super happy about. I do not know that I will be doing this again anytime soon (wedding planning takes over so many math brain cells - especially when you do not want yourself, or your father, to go broke), but the fact that this is finished gives me the confidence boost I need to know that I can do it. You just need a little bit of patience, and a good calculator.

All details in ravelry - here.

So right now I am working on Ash for me, and a few more democrats for some friends, and as a prize for someone participating in the Obama T-shirt challenge. I just finished a vest for my dad too. I am hoping to get him to do some modeling this weekend.

Oh, and speaking of my dad, he was very disappointed that he did not get photography credits for the wedding pictures (diva). So , yes, my dad took those GREAT pictures at the wedding... (such a primadonna).

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really cute! It sounds like most of the problems you've described could be tackled too so well done!

2:10 PM  
Blogger f. pea said...

well, i'm impressed!!!

2:18 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

well, it IS a cute design! you did a great job there! maybe it would look better in a different yarn? :)

6:20 PM  
Blogger WandaWoman said...

I'm sorry you had so many problems with the yarn, but the sweater is really beautiful in my opinion. It really looks greats on you too.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It does look good. can you keep the button band down with snaps? at least at the top?

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does look great, especially for a self-designed sweater! To help stabilize your buttons, you could try sewing a small plain button on the back of the button band - when you're sewing the regular button on the fornt, go through the other button in the back. It keeps the button-thread from tearing up the yarn of the buttonband.

6:18 AM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

I love the design, sorry about the issues. Good luck with the wedding planning stuff, it can feel like enough to make the brain explode sometimes, just remind yourself that it is a happy event and try not to get too bogged down with it all.

4:16 PM  
Blogger maitai said...

i'm sorry you don't love it, but i do think it looks great anyhow!

7:40 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

I think it looks great! I understand the frustration of yarn that pills, but the fit is great on you.

9:52 AM  
Blogger LG said...

Paloma, great job! I´m impressed!

11:31 AM  
Blogger chookie said...

i adore this knit, much more than the original. Great work on this!!

3:46 AM  
Blogger lekkercraft said...

I like it better than the original too, and I think it looks great on you. At least you know that you can do a great copy!

7:41 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Attack of the cursed yarn!!! I actually think this is an adorable sweater and I am SO impressed with your ingenuity and patience to create your own sweater pattern. Some day, some day I hope to reach your level of creativity. Happy wedding planning!

6:13 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I am liking that design. And the colour looks great on you. Button bands never lay straight or flat in my experience!

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well look at you! that's pretty fancy math girl. it looks lovely. but i hear you about not liking the yarn and not having enough for the sleeve length. not enough yarn has been the bain of my existance these last few months. so much so that i've taken to eyeing the Rick Owens 2 color sleeves from a few years ago.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I really like the cardigan. I like the way you managed to use honeycomb cables and yet still make it remain flattering!!! It looks like such a wearable design. Oh by the way, maybe the buttonbands would behave better if you blocked them into submission? Good luck---love your blog!

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New post please.....

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home