Friday, August 04, 2006

igor.000739

Our godson Chris is turning five this month. (That is the little tazmanian devil there on the left). We were trying to figure out what to buy him for his birthday, and we were having a very difficult time. See, him and his brother Brandon have every imaginable toy you could ever think of.

It is not that hard to please them really, Superman, Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Ninjas... easy - right? But that is the problem, they have so many toys that any toys that we buy for him is just going to add to the every growing pile of toys that he will outgrow. Plus, we want to be responsible godparents and get him something educational - or in his mind's eye: not fun.

Last year, after our friend suggested it, we got him a Leapfrog. Apparently, despite the fact that it is educational, the Taz Dev loves it! So this year, that is the first thing we thought of - and we got him a Leapfrog game that teaches all this PreK and K stuff. Since he is going to school this year, we also bought him a backpack, a lunch bag, crayons, pens... and threw in the mandatory cheesy Spiderman game, which I am sure will be his favorite - sigh.

We have also decided to open up a savings account that he can have access to when he is 18. Most people open up a savings account so their child/godchild can have some money when they enter college. Not us. After getting our bachelors and masters, we know how easy it is to get a loan, and how the monthly payments are not that bad for the rest of your life. Maybe, by the time Chris is 18 the U.S. will have evolved enough to understand the importance of education and provide free college education like other developed and underdeveloped countries. But that is a soap box that I will save for another day.

No, we as godparents have chosen to save money so Chris can one day travel wherever he wants. Both Tony and I have traveled (together and separately) through many parts of the world (argentina, guatemala, mexico, cuba, spain, italy, germany, austria....there is more) and the education that we get from those travels is immeasurable and irreplaceable. We want Chris to have that same gift.

Added to his list of toys, is, of course, a hand-knitted item (was there ever any doubt kids?). I present to you igor.000739:

Tony named him igor - I added the 000739 because it sounds so robotic. I love this guy! And, yes, people this will be my last handknitted toy in a while, because I have so much yarn predetermined for projects, I need to get rid of it.

igor is again from one of Jess Hutch's patterns. Her designs are so quirky and full of life, you really fall in love with them instantly. igor is also my first real attempt at intarsia (pretty good job if I do say so myself) and the first time I made an i-cord... not the most challenging technique, but first time I did it!

Now, I am not kidding myself. I know this is not going to be Chris's favorite gift. He will probably categorize it as a "baby toy", however, I am one day, when he goes to college igor is going to go right along with him (cause I will pack it for him) and he will never forget that when he was five I made this for him (cause I will remind him).

11 Comments:

Blogger Macoco said...

Okay what a cutie-patootey!!!! The robot is awesome, I love the name too - tres robotique.

The idea of a travel savings account is a great one - such a thoughtful idea. I agree that so much learning is done by travelling to a different country. I wish more people would/could do that!

I have the travel bug and really want to go somewhere (big hint to Juan - bring me to Mexico!).

8:45 AM  
Blogger iSeL said...

Awww, how sweet.

The traveling idea is genius. I should adopt it for myself.

Have a great weekend and a happy birthday to the little taz dev whenever that is.

9:04 AM  
Blogger yarnmaniac said...

You guys are great Godparents! Igor is so cute. Congrats on the intarsia!

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your godson should love igor - they are both so cute! he's lucky to have such great godparents.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

I love the robot! I agree with you about traveling - it certainly is a mind opening experience. Chris is lucky to have you as his godmother.

4:50 PM  
Blogger lanas y tramas said...

Hola Topita!!! Muy buenas ideas para compartir en cuanto a los chicos y me encanta Igor!!!

8:37 PM  
Blogger lanas y tramas said...

Perdonáme Paloma, me confundí y en el comentario anterior coloqué el nombre de otra tejedora, me las confundo!!! Sorry!!!

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a very cool idea, starting the travel account. You're so right, everyone should have that opportunity. And he will love Igor--those Jess Hutch patterns are adorable!

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, aren't you generous and foresightful godparents. I thought of a way for you to make Igor your godson's favorite gift (and to ensure that Igor will get packed for college and other travels). Tell him that that money is actually for Igor, but that Igor would be happy to share it with him as long as he gets to go along. :)

11:55 AM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Igor is super-cute!

2:44 PM  
Blogger LG said...

Both Chris and Igor are cute! ;)

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home