Monday, June 26, 2006

i love the internets

This whole knitting/blogging universe ROCKS! I never knew that there was such a community of wonderful people that need to write about their knitting. And I love being part of it.

Example Number 1:

During my first SP experience, I got to spoil ms. Macoco over at Craftpirate. Although I was sending her stuff, we began emailing, and have gotten to know each other pretty well through email and blogs. She came to the D.C. area this past weekend and we met up at KnitHappens for some shopping, and then walked in the Old Town Alexandria area until we found a pub to have a bite to eat.

First, I am going to publicly apologize for my tardiness (30 minutes late) but, in my defense, D.C. area traffic is the worst! But we had a terrific time, and drank some beer and wine, which is probably the reason that I did not remember to take a picture of us. So sad about it.

She did surprise me with a copy of World of Knitted Toys (maybe I will make something for my godson from here) and this really cute dishcloth yarn and pattern. I have never knitted a dishcloth before, but I am very excited about the fact that it is a quick knit, and because : it's pink!

I am sure Tony will love another pink object in his life, but it is important for a guy to be in touch with his feminine side - right?


Example Number 2:

I received a lot of warm sympathy when Henri left us for his trip to Mexico (he loves it there - "the tequila is superb".) But the most surprising response was from Knitpastis, who needed to have Henri's spanish cousin Hugo at her house. She proposed an exchange. Now, I have never done an "on-demand" exchange, usually I am racking my brain to figure out what my secret pal would like. But this one was a piece of cake! Knitpastis already told me what she wanted. (I will post pictures after she has received the package).

I finished Hugo in record time, and included a few other surprises for my new Gemini friend, but she beat me to it - she sent me this wonderful package that arrived this weekend:


ummm... ya! CUTE!! She hand dyed the yarn herself, using colors I told her I liked - it's called "watermelon". I love it! and I think I am going to make myself a cute little felted purse with it. There are also some handmade labels for me to use when I am giving gifts (although I don't want to use them - they are too cute!) some notecards that are now decorating my bulletin board at work, and some spree candy, which is going to go in my "i need a sugar kick" drawer at work.

Thank you thank you thank you ladies! Man I love me some internets friends!

More knitting news:

  • My mom came over and we took pics of her shawl - will post those tomorrow to keep my 3 readers in suspense a little longer.
  • Salina is blocking as we speak and I will try to seam her up tonight (yuck)
  • I am knitting some slippers for house guests.
  • Casting on for Somewhat Cowl today.

OH! And I need some advice. I think I want to frog my bolero jacket and redo it in the smaller size - it is just sooo big. What do you guys think? Should I do it? Or keep it as a memento of my very first knitted garment?

I leave you with a closeup of my new gifted yarn!

9 Comments:

Blogger KnitPastis said...

See! Who loves ya baby!! I can't wait to see you make a felted bag out of that "Watermelon" yarn. Your SP also gave you some wonderful goodies too!

I am the kind of person I found out that I will just frog something. Maybe not right away but later on I will if it is soemthing I can't wear, in this case, too big. Last night I took out a sweater that I made from Blue Skys Alpaca Cotton and I plan on frogging it when I get a chance.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

The "Watermelon" yarn is so yummy! And you´re right the labels are totally cute. Y Vamos Vamos, Argentina... I can´t wait till Friday!

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to vote for frogging. I don't know. It's really cute, and I personally love that the sleeves are too long (I love it when I lose my hands in my sleeves). But if you're not going to wear it as is, perhaps frogging is in order.

I have to say, I love the whole online community too. Heck, if it weren't for knitting blogs, I wouldn't have realized that there's someone practically right next door to me! (btw, the hubby and I drove to Woodbridge this weekend on a whim - not far from our house at all!)

2:19 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

nessagr said...
I would definitely frog. I've recently had two projects I made last year (sweaters #3 and #4) that I frogged and 1) made something completely different for #3 and 2) re-did the top of all pieces for #4 because I didn't yet know how to measure arm holes and it was too short. Personally, I'd rather re-do something, have it right, and actually wear it.

Can't wait to see Salina!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Gaby said...

Los colores de la madeja estan muy lindos!:)

saludos desde Bs.As.

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, you got some great yarn there!

i know i'm probably in the minority here, but if it were me, i wouldn't frog it because i couldn't stand to see my efforts unravel. i'd just get more yarn and try again!

3:51 PM  
Blogger iSeL said...

Ah , what a lucky girl.

I feel your pain about seaming Salina. Double yuck.

I have been wanting to make that bolero ever since I saw the pattern and bought the book, but I keep postponing it. Algún día...

I would say frog it (that is some nice yarn) or make it again in the smaller size. It's such a pretty shrug!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Macoco said...

It was great meeting you Paloma! Since you used such nice yarn for the bolero, I'd vote for frogging it too - make something that you'll love to wear and will wear for years.

Of course, that comes from the person who hasn't finished anything in ages! :P

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only did a SP exchange once, but my upstream SP and I have become really good friends -- we even managed to meet once even though she lives 3000 miles away. Really that's the coolest thing about the online knitting world -- although the presents are a pretty close second!

I am of two minds about your bolero (the same two as you). I defer to everyone else.

4:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home