Tuesday, March 14, 2006

History of a Bolero Jacket

When I first received the Debbie Bliss Simply Soft , I knew that the Bolero Jacket would be my very first non-scarf/non-hat project – and the first project made just for me. I ordered my yarn from The Knitting Garden, and that is when the saga of the Bolero Jacket started. They are very responsive, and nice, but the yarn took FOREVER to arrive. I was getting pretty anxious for a while, seeing that I really wanted to wear my Bolero Jacket this year.

Finally the 13 skeins arrived. YIPPEEE! I cast on the following day and went to town. Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Chunky is so soft and lovely to knit with, I could not stop! (Mind you, up to this point my biggest yarn splurge was on Caron Simply Soft, so Cashmerino was, naturally, bliss).


Knitting the front, back and sleeves were a piece of cake, ribbed for the cuffs of the sleeves, just plain old stockinette for the rest. When I started the collar, so did my problems. I HATE picking up stitches, probably because I am a perfectionist, and I want to make sure that everything is 100% evenly spaced, and perfect, and there are the same number of picked up stitches per inch, yada yada, yada. After trying to be perfect about 5 times, I just did my best.

The problem was that although wrapping rows makes sense to me now, it did not make sense to me then. So, when the pattern said to wrap the next two rows, I thought this meant that I had to do the whole thing twice. (This would mean that I would do FOUR short rows – not TWO). On a Saturday evening, after a leeetle bit of wine, and after the half way point for the collar I started to see that I was going to run out of yarn. I started cursing the pattern, because I was 100% positive that Debbie had miscalculated, and it was not 13 skeins I needed, but 15, and if only they had stated it correctly, I would not be in this predicament, and man was I upset!


I ran to the computer and decided to order the yarn on ebay, since it had taken so long with The Knitting Garden, and I was desperate to finish this. I found a seller that promised delivery within 2-3 days and I quickly placed my order for 3 more skeins. (I figured a little extra would not hurt anything except my wallet). Problem is, wine (the leeetttle bit that it was) does affect your reaction time, your reading abilities, and decision making abilities as well.

Monday morning, when I was checking my email - although, of course, not at work - I saw that I had ordered MERINO chunky, not Cashmerino Chunky. Now, some of you may think, “Who cares! Pretty close! Just finish the darn bolero jacket already!”. And let me tell you, I thought of it for a nano second. But this is my first sweater, and I wanted it to be as perfect as possible. So, I went online - not during work hours, of course - and found another seller that sold the correct yarn. Now, this seller, who shall remain nameless, stated that said yarn would be delivered within 2-3 days in the US, and up to 10 days internationally. I expected the yarn in 3 days, it did not arrive. After 5 days I wrote a very nice email asking where it was and received no response. Another email later yet no response. I waited 10 days, just to give the seller the benefit of the doubt, no response. So I filed a claim on paypal. Of course at that point she contacted me. Needless to say I cancelled the order with this seller. (Is this story getting too long?). I ordered the yarn from supercrafty and received it two days later. (Thanks supercrafty!).

Anyways, long story just a little bit longer, it was at this point, that I decided to try out the Bolero Jacket to see its progress. (At this point the should seams were joined and the collar was well on its way). I thought the collar looked a little big, but chucked it up to inexperience with garment construction and knitted about 6 more rows, but the collar started to look like a cape! I reread the wrap instructions and it is only at this point that I figured out what the heck Debbie was talking about! ARGH…. So I frogged the collar….and picked up the 200 or so stitches again….

I finished it a few days later, after a lot of trial, a lot of tribulation, and a lot of happiness! My first project for me was DONE… The sleeves are a bit long and big. But then again, my arms are a little bit too skinny.

My modeling pics did not turn out so good, so there were several photo shoots, and yes, I will attach as many as I want! I already wore it to work...twice.




Me and my Cashmerino Chunky; Undoing my humongo collar - a sad moment

attempt to look cute # 435; Gangsta Bolero; attempt to loook cute #859


Mom made me pose once... ...twice.... ... More than 3 times, but I will spare you

Too long sleeves; Tony happy that the Freakin' bolero is FINISHED; A girl, her mom and her bolero

Pattern: BOLERO JACKET Debbie Bliss Simply Soft
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Chunky

55% Wool
33% Microfibre
12% Cashmere
Approx. 70 yds/50g
Weight: Chunky
Machine Washable
Gauge: 3.5 sts/1inNeedle: US 10.5

Notes: My very first sweater/jacket! Whatever! It is a bit big, the sleeves are a big long, but might block it again and see what happens. My mom suggested putting it in the dryer, but I am scared to do that…

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so impressed! You look fabulous in your first sweater! NICE WORK!

6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bolero rocks!! I'm not surprised that the sleeves are long, because you're an overachiever. Congrats -- I knew you could do it!!! M

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the bolero! Good work--

Wendy

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you please teach me how to post three pictures next to each other? I still have much to learn about blogging. Knitting, on the other hand, is Maria's thing. Did you finally bring her bigger needles?
Mike in Brussels

1:53 AM  
Blogger LG said...

Nice pictures! The bolero is very pretty!

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home