Monday, January 29, 2007

Phildar Asymmetrical Sweater


When I first started knitting and found the knitting blogging world, I found Becky. The fact that she could knit these things from complicated French patterns inspired me and it made me want to reach that level. I would look at the Phildar magazines on line and could not wait to be able to learn French. I even started listening to French podcasts so I could learn French, just to understand the Phildar patterns. Then I found out that Phildar was translating their patters, I bought some (at least 3?) of their pattern books.

This sweater was my first attempt at a Phildar sweater, and let me tell you kids, translated into English does not necessarily mean that these patterns make sense. No sirreee bob. Sometimes it seems that the pattern is just literally translated, without any thought to wether or not it is clear.

Thankfully, Olgita indulges me in question after question and teaches me how to do things to make the pattern work better for me. (this is the last time I make an entire ribbed sweater on US 3 with twisted stitches - yuckie!).

Pattern Details:
Pattern Source:
Phildar Asymetrical Sweater from
Phildar Tendances Autumn 2 N. 456
Yarn: Rowanspun DK in Mouse (I think 7 and a half skeins).
Needle Size: US 3 Susan Bates. This project made me realize that although I love the practicality of my Denise Interchangeables, nothing compares to some metal needles. I just bought 3 Addi Turbos from Yarnbow... hee hee.
Modifications: Olgita made me do twisted knitted stitches on the right side of the project since the yarn felts a little. This made the ribbing pop up more.
What I learned: Phildar patterns look pretty, but they are hard to understand. Read, reread, and see if you have a good knitting friend that does not get tired of your questions. Oh, and I also learned that sometimes, the buttons cost more than the yarn - although I love these.

edited to add: i also learned how to do a knitted cast on for the button bands (Olga made me do this too) and how to sew on live stitches to a garment.




Next on the knitting horizon are some gifts for my dad to take to Argentina with him. I finished some Fetching gloves for my aunt, and am working on a scarf for my uncle, then I have to do a little something for my grandmother ( I was thinking one of those cute little purses/clutches from One Skein) and something for my other uncle so he does not get jealous. A roll brim hat perhaps? what do you guys think?

As soon as I am done with that, I will continue my Phildar Swing Jacket... oh I cannot wait to attack that French pattern again.

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Macoco said...

You did an amazing job with that sweater! I like that you say Olgita made you do the twisted stitches - it just cracks me up. "I didn't want to...but she made me!"

The buttons are fabulous - they're the perfect touch.

11:49 AM  
Blogger dlittlegarden said...

What a fantastic sweater! Those buttons really fit the character of the sweater perfectly. Great job!

11:53 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

what a beautiful sweater! i love the asymmetrical button line. too cute.

12:12 PM  
Blogger iSeL said...

Bravo! It looks so elegant and it fits you so perfectly. Great job.
You are lucky to have such great friends.

12:23 PM  
Blogger OLGAJAZZY said...

Palomita, you are going to make me blush! it is all thanks to you though you made this amazing sweater!
You rock girl! keep on rocking your needles!
Baci, Baci!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh wow! that's so awesome I love it!! those buttons are way cool...i might make one for myself too if you don't mind :)

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you survived a phildar pattern! and it looks perfect to boot!

now get yourself some us 9's and knit a quick sweater sans twisted sts

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did we even know you were making this sweater? This gorgeous FO comes as a complete surprise to me (of course, I'm sort of dense). It looks GREAT -- I can't believe your post recounts difficulties and pattern notes rather than just repeating "LOOK AT MY AWESOME SWEATER!" over and over. Because that's what I do, if I'd made this.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Laura B said...

Beautiful! I'm just now finishing up my Swing Jacket... and I was thinking this might be next on my list. Yours is so nice!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

OHMYGOD that sweater is GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS. I am soooooo jealous. I love it all- the color, the pattern, the buttons- and it fits you perfectly. If I were you, I would wear it every day. Forever. Though that might get old eventually :)

5:24 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Oh my goodness, it's absolutely gorgeous!! You should be super proud of yourself, overcoming the challenge of the Phildar pattern and coming out with something as amazing as that time.

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, it's gorgeous! It looks SO good on you! Great job. :)

7:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a lovely sweater on you. You did a great job. See you Sunday!

11:16 PM  
Blogger knitannie said...

GORGEOUS! It looks great on you, definitely worth the effort of all of that ribbing and the cost of the buttons. I have always loved Phildar. I'll keep dreaming and make one, one day, then I might have to borrow some of that advice.

4:11 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

I just learned the knitted cast on a few weeks ago (for the dreaded scarf/shawl project) and am in love with it - I wish I had learned it sooner. Of course since I've had to frog that project so many times I'm now an expert in the knitted cast on :P

5:32 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

Wow! I just thought I'd stop by to see what you've been up to, and my eyes grew wide when I saw that sweater! It is fabulous, and those buttons - well worth whatever you spent. Tres chic!

10:45 AM  
Blogger f. pea said...

heavenly! that must have been such a satisfying project. and if you ever leave that sweater lying around near me, i can't be held responsible for the disappearance of any buttons that might occur.

11:17 AM  
Blogger knitfriendly said...

Wow - that sweater turned out beautifully! Thanks for stopping by my blog. We would love to have you and Olga come and join us at Sweet Life Knitters. Check out our group and sign up if you guys would like! :)http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sweetlifeknitters/

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did a gorgeous job on the sweater! And the buttons are awesome! Congratulations on your new sweater.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Me said...

Wow. That is a beautiful phildar sweater. Now I think I have to try one of those patterns...

-stacey

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home