Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Swatches and Broken Robots

I am a real knitter! And you know how I know that? I actually made swatches! I was happily working on my second attempt at a bolero jacket but kept having dreams about these two Phildar projects. You know you have an illness when it consumes even your resting time.

I love the projects that Becky finishes from Phildar, and I have ordered a few catalogues from Knitntyme before, but for some reason have never started one. Now Phildar offers their catalogues translated to English right on their site! This sweater immediately caught my eye when I received my first order from them.

Olgita found this yarn for me and Macoco convinced me to buy it (yarn enablers are not hard to find now a days). I swatched it and Olgita and I washed it and it looks kinda felty, but I lluuvreee it. It is going to be a bit of a pain because I am doing 3X3 ribbing on size 3's. I started this past weekend and only have about 15 cm of the back done. But I think the final outcome will be gorgeous. It is a much darker gray (Mouse) than what the picture shows, and as you know, gray is the new black.

The other project that kept me up at night, or woke me up in the middle of the night, is this Phildar jacket - so - freaking - cute!! Since this project is going to require a large amount of yarn, I decided to go the inexpensive route and use Paton's 100% merino wool in Deep Olive ( I figure that color will look great with browns and blacks - which is pretty much all i wear). I know, not super fancy, but it will do. I might even ask my aunt to help me sew in a lining to help keep its shape. What do you guys think of my two new obsessions? I have started the sweater, but made myself not start the jacket until I complete my small number of Christmas gifts for Tony's aunts, which I am hoping to finish this weekend.

Ok, now for the robot part. You remember igor right? He was a gift for my godson's 5th birthday. Well, I went to see the little tazmanian devil this past weekend and found out igor had indeed become a favorite toy for the boys. How did I know this? Exhibit a and b below: I am sooooo happy that they are playing with him! He has now undergone drastic plastic surgery at chez lomester and is ready to go back to their house.

13 Comments:

Blogger Macoco said...

I will always be here for you to enable a yarn purchase. That's the type of friend I am!

Love the patterns and the colors you chose. You are so brave to take on so many sweater projects. I just need to get through my first one and maybe I'll become a knitting whiz like you!

I'm so glad the robot is getting lots of love. When I made my nephew a snake (Tab) it came to an untimely demise when the dog wanted to play too....

10:42 AM  
Blogger f. pea said...

i'm so glad igor is getting lots of love. so... was there ever any doubt that you were the aforemetioned "real knitter" with the "illness"? i have noted copious amounts of evidence in previous posts, too numerous to list here... anyhow, those both look like wonderful projects. i can't wait to see them come to life!

10:59 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

poor robot. i'm glad to hear that he's back in business though!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

!Pobre Igor! He looks well loved, and his colors are great. I hadn't seen him before- must have been during my summer hiatus. I love the new projects- both are super cute and look very wearable.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That Olga! Nice yarn choice though. Love both coats.

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

igor rocks! what an awesome robot.
welcome to the wonderful world of swatching...

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My gosh, I totally adore Igor, he rocks big time! And yay for swatching - I've always refused to do so, but now realized that it's just so important for bigger projects like sweaters, cardis or such - before I swatched, I spent many hours ripping, and that's just such a waste of time that can be easily prevented by swatching!

3:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love both of your Phildar projects, and the yarn you chose is lovely.
Get well soon for Igor!

8:00 AM  
Blogger LG said...

Your grandson is playing with Igor for sure! ;)
Your wips are looking great!

8:47 AM  
Blogger iSeL said...

Congratulations on finishing the Marathon. I'm impressed.

I'm also impressed by all the projects on your needles/mind. They all look so fabulous!

Igor is definitely getting some tough love. :D

4:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing more gratifying that someone wearing a hole in a knitted gift through overuse, is there? Especially given your original suspicions about how Igor would be received.

Don't you love the feeling of beginning a new project? You have some great ones planned.

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Igor! Doesn't it feel good to know he is so loved? :)

12:19 PM  
Blogger knitannie said...

I LOVE that jacket. I am really jealous now. Can't wait to see how it turns out. The olive green is a great choice.

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home