Friday, November 17, 2006

What I did on my Autumn Vacation...

Last weekend we rented a house in beautiful West Virginia with Tony's parents and sisters and our godson Chris and his family rented another one down the road. We stayed in a beautiful house in Canaan valley that had a jacuzzi, two great big decks and was perfectly quiet. It was such a change from suburbia. It was fun hanging out with the kids. They were a little wild and crazy, but after some crayons, papers and instructions that they could not move until the entire paper was full of images they saw that day, they were okay.

We ran around, and climbed and saw deer and (we think we) saw bear tracks during our 4 mile uphill run. (it was not fun) I took this opportunity away from work/cooking/cleaning and all the otherd aily activities to catch up on my Christmas knitting.

I really do not think that I want to get into the habit of knitting my Christmas gifts because the pressure is just too much for me. Plus, I like knitting stuff for myself more than for anyone else. That way, the only person I dissapoint is me. However, all of Tony's aunts keep making comments about how I knit for the kids but not for them, and how they have never received anything from me, so I decided to make them all slippers.
The pattern is from Knit Two Together, and although I had originally checked the book out from the library this pattern made me buy the book. I want to eventually make tons of these for the house since we have a no shoes policy.

I made all four of them during my resting period on Sunday after chasing the kids around and while watching Ugly Betty reruns on Aik's computer, and finished them on the car ride home which was about 3 hours.

They are all made from left over yarn that I used to make the henri the bear, SOL for my friend, igor for Chris and the upcoming ivan for Chris's brother Brandon. (I am still in shock that these kids keep asking for igor's brother, and that the robot is carried around the house and the car all the time. yay for knitted toys!

Anyhoo, on the left are the pre-felt and the right the aft-felt pictures. I have to say - I think I over felted because they turned out a leetttlee bit small. However, I feel better knowing that Tony's aunts have really small feet and that they will shove their toesies in there one by one if I have to make them because these slippers are HAND MADE thankyouberimach.

I also took some time to work on the back of my Phildar Assymetrical Sweater. Darn size 3 needles take forever, but it sure does look nice! I am knitting on the back side of the knit stitches on the RS to make the stitches pop more (thanks olgita). I cannot wait to get more of this one done.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paloma your slippers are THE BEST!!! they look adorable!! your aunts will certainly love them.
I also prefer knitting for myself than for others =)

4:37 PM  
Blogger yarnmaniac said...

Cute slippers! I had to buy that book, too. Lotsa fun. I think you are right about not knitting for gifts as a rule, but I don't know what to get dh's family members otherwise! So, I am in the middle of xmas pressure....

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What pretty colors! You are going to have some very happy gift recipients, I'm sure. And kudos for getting FOUR presents out of the way in a weekend. I'm still working on getting Christmas present #1 done. Your sweater is looking great- but what do you mean by knitting the backside of the stitches? More info, please, for us un-enlightened knitters out here in bloglandia.

8:25 PM  
Blogger OLGAJAZZY said...

Palomita!!
The slippers are great, so much fun and handmade and bright and warm! Yey!
And I didn't even realise how much the sweater ribs stand out now. It's great! Looks much better than the swatch!
2 Nessagr:
this is when instead of simply knitting in the stitch, you knit in the back of it, it's called a twisted/crossed knit stitch.

8:38 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

wow! look at all those slippers you turned out during your break! i haven't even started my christmas knitting yet. thankfully, it's just two hats i have to make this year :)

8:36 AM  
Blogger LG said...

Wow Paloma! You were a prolific knitter! I couldn´t choose one pair, I love the four of them! You chose such cheerful happy colors! Great job!

12:51 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

The slippers look great - and you got them done so quickly - yay for knitting travel time :)

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome slipper pattern! What lucky aunts. Maybe I should try that tack. "Paloma, you're always making things for people you know in real life but not for your blog friends!"

Just kidding. Glad you had a nice vacation!

P.S. I have a questio for you: when you were knitting the Gatsby Girl pullover, did it look to you like it was going to be too small and clingy when it was on the needles?

6:38 AM  
Blogger Macoco said...

I can't believe how much you knit up in one weekend!! The slippers are incredibly cute - and great color combos too.
I'm scared of holiday knitting - too many people not enough time. But those slippers look like quick work.

The Phildar project looks great!!

8:11 AM  
Blogger f. pea said...

i love the before and after pictures. you chose great colors- the aunties will love them!

1:21 PM  
Blogger Megs said...

Fabulous slippers! i've been making several pair myself (although quite a different pattern) for Christmas gifts. Christmas knitting is quite a bit o' pressure - but i'm having fun with it! :)

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Palomita, las pantuflas están más que buenas!!! Me encantan!!!

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home