Monday, February 05, 2007

My Sunday started at 5:30 a.m.

Allright, everyone! Guess why I got up at 5:30 a.m.:

a) I wanted to go for an early morning 30 degree weather
b) I needed to get ready for the TBS marathon of The Closer
c) I was visiting Reese and Ava woke me up
d) 60% off yarn

I know, you are all thinking a) because I am so dedicated to running and exercising. But you are wrong, I got up at 5:30 to make sure I got the SpringWater Fibers annual sale. Olga, Ava and I had decided on doing this about a month ago because we love yarn and we love yarn on sale. The sale started at 7 a.m. so we met at 6:30 to have enough time to stop by the local Starbucks. (A total necesity at this early hour).

The streets of Alexandria at this hour are very quiet. And so, when the light refused to turn green so I could make a left turn, I kinda-sorta got tired of waiting and kinda-sorta went. There were no police cars around, so I was safe. We drove down the road for about 5 minutes when all of the sudden I saw the shining blinking lights in my rear view mirror. There is NO WAY this policeman had seen me run that light 5 minutes ago! I pulled over (a little embarassed that my two knitter friends were in the car with me) and waited for an explanation.

He came to my window and asked me if I knew why he had pulled me over. I (of course) told him I had no clue. He told me my tags are expired. Now, I am very responsible and organized and I KNOW I had paid this. I explained this to the officer who listened to me and then told me "Well, I am still going to have to give you a ticket". So, I did what any respectable young woman would do. I begged. I said "oh, pleasepleasepleasepleaseeeee don't give me a ticket!! please pleasepleaseplease!!!" (this is an accurate reenactment and in no way an exaggeration). He took my license and told me he would be right back. At this point, the girls started giggling. I told them that if he left me off the hook, I would ask him for a picture for lomester. But I am generally not lucky in such things, so I did not expect it. I was so aggravated, embarrassed, sleepy, caffeine deprived...can you guys sense what I was feeling? After waiting a few minutes longer than I thought it should take for him to check that I was not a wanted criminal in 8 states, I knew he was writing me up.


I saw him coming back to my car and was prepared to continue to beg a little more. I didn't have to:
hee hee! I promised him that I would not reveal his name ( I actually can't even see it on his badge). And although I did not contribute to his "ticket quota" for the month, now he has a great story to tell all his officer buddies. This man could have completely ruined my day yesterday, but he chose to be a nice guy. Thank you nameless Alexandria police officer!

(btw - I came to work today and checked my files - I ummm, am a little, umm,... late paying my registration fees - but I SWEAR I thought it was paid!)

We stopped at the closest Starbucks and fueled up and made our way down to what we though was going to be a gold mine. We got there (i kid you not) at 7:10 and the place was packed. There were people sitting on the floor going through their collections of yarn they had just grabbed for 60% off. The leftovers were not even worth looking through. I know I am a little bit of a yarn snob, but the 60% off was not enticing enough.


However, we went to the nearby La Madeleine and had a lovely breakfast. We talked about running, and work, and yarn, and Ava showed me her Habu yarn catalog, which is really a very mean thing to do because now all I want to do is knit with yummie soft Habu. Mean Ava! :)

The first pic is of Ava knitting her pretty sock; Olgita plays with the sock; and then she gives me a hand with my Argentina knitting.

My dad is going back to Argentina to visit family so I of course have to knit some gifts. A scarf for my uncle (my own made up mocked cable pattern):
The accessory bags from Handknit Holidays for my grandma:










Olgita helped me with the first 13 rows or so. I have to get a zipper and line it with some fabric, and will show you the finished product as soon as I am done.

I also made Fetching for my aunt, and making Calorimetry to match them. I will show pics of those as well. I need to find a simple hat pattern for my other uncle. Advice/suggestions are completely welcomed.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Macoco said...

You are such a bad @ss running that red light! I swear I hate it when that instant karma sneaks up on you. You figure it takes a while before it will hit you. I'm so glad you didn't get a ticket though!!

Ummm I don't think you could get my lazy bum up that early on a Sunday...

It looks like Olgita is sniffing your yarn. :P

12:05 PM  
Blogger OLGAJAZZY said...

OMG, this is what I look like when I only get 6 hours of sleep. People don't be scared =)
Paloma is a pioneer and we didn't forget to mention to the officer where we had been heading and that his face will shine on here with kindness! Donut buddies will be entertained that's for sure!

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lomes, I love your latest knits. Especially the bag! Your family will be so happy to receive them!

You need to come and take more pictures of little Ava! And post her in the sweater you made!!

Can't believe you got out of the ticket...only you.

LOST returns on Wed!!!!!

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, you seriously didn't find any yarn at the sale? That's unbelievable -- people are crazy! At least you got a good story about the police officer, otherwise the early morning would have been a waste. :(

Though it seems as though you manged to have a nice time knitting anyway.

12:42 PM  
Blogger f. pea said...

What a story! Getting up at 5:30 AM, running a red light, scamming a cop, and then ditching the yarn sale that made you do it! Sounds like an episode of "I Love Lomester"!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Looming Looney said...

You three are true rebels. Running read lights, riding around with expired tags. I am Ava's co-woker and ya know I will be teasing her the entire week. I always knew she has a wild streak in her. Bad Ass to the Core. LOL

1:14 PM  
Blogger iSeL said...

You are so lucky!!

If that's how it was at SWFW, then I am glad I didn't leave my warm and cozy bed to be tackled by yarn-hungry women and come back empty-handed. On the other hand, I'm sad because I didn't get to meet you guys.

That bag is going to be beautiful!

1:23 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

you got to a yarn store at 7:10AM and YOU DIDN'T BUY ANYTHING?!?! for shame! and you call yourself a knitter?

:)

1:55 PM  
Blogger knitfriendly said...

I am SO glad that I didn't get up for the sale. I had a feeling that it was going to be like that. You are SO lucky to get out of that ticket! :) Yeah for you! I can't believe he let you take his pic! Thanks for the link to techknitter. Her long tail cast on also agrees with IK so I guess it doesn't really matter which end is which...

2:21 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Wow! All that before I would even have stirred in my bed. I'm impressed at your skill of getting out of a ticket, I am such a coward, I would never even ask. And no yarnd out of it anyway - shame.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Sounds like a lovely morning with the girls, esp. since the ticket incident turned out so well. I never would have dared to even try to get out of it AND then take his picture- you are quite the charmer, Paloma. Bummer about the yarn sale, though. Looks like you've got lots of projects to keep you busy for a while, though. Can wait to see the pics.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

ummm, that was CAN'T wait to see the pics. But I'm sure you knew that :)

7:16 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

Please tell me that you were just too shaken up by your close call with the officer, and that's why you passed up 60% off! Quite the story, though!

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola estaba mirando tu blog y sorpresa vi que eras de Cordoba , yo soy tambien o mejor dicho vivo ahi, estube mirando unos escarpines que me gustaron mucho, me gustaria contactarme con vos para intercambiar modelos o patrones , si queres porsupuesto. Un beso, mi mails es veronicagmz@hotmail.com
Veronica.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home