Monday, March 26, 2007

My new approach to Phildar projects

Basically, proceed with caution because who knows what is going to happen. I have such bad luck with these. You all remember the craziness that was my Asymmetrical Sweater pattern. It turned out great, I love it, but deciphering the literally translated pattern gave me (and Olga) headaches. Well, I gave Olga the headaches with my quadrillion questions.

So when I started the Swing Jacket - which I now know won't be used until next season * sigh * - I approached the pattern cautiously. Thankfully, it seemed pretty straight forward, and so I went on my Mexican vacation and left the back to marinate for a week.

When I came back I picked up about 20 cm into the 56 cm back, and knitted along in the pretty pattern. I thought something looked odd, but I chucked it up to vacationitis. My gauge was the same, the measurements were still okay, so I knitted on.

Then one Friday I had to work late, and Tony went out and I could not wait to come home and knit away with some tivod shows and som wine. Then, maybe it was the clarity brought by the wine, the oddity became clearer.
I stared and stared, and sure enough noticed - two different colors.
Don't lie and say you can't see it, because I know you can. Trust me, I lied to myself and told myself I could not tell the difference for a long time. As soon as I saw it, I ran up to our office, took pictures and said a little prayer that Olga was online. I hope she never starts charging me for he knitting classes, because I will be broke. B-R-O-K-E. We both agreed that we never thought Paton's dye lots would be so different! Anyways, after hysterical google messaging for 15 minutes we decided that I was not going to undo anything, that I was going to wash the completed project, and then dye it all.

So I continued on, and knitted the left and right front sides, and once in a while, I would take out the bi-colored back and just stare at it hoping that it would change colors. I was so nervous that after finishing everything, the dye would come out splotchy, or not change anything at all. So I fnished the front, and decided to just frog the back. So this is where I am in this project:












That is the back, that I just restarted yesterday, and a close up of my hem. I LOVE my hem. I want to put hems on everything now.
Do you think the two sides are each a different color, or am I just being paranoid?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Macoco said...

Wow, You're really cruising on the back! I'm glad that you decided to do the back over, less stress that way. And yes, I think you're being paranoid about the front. ; )

10:11 AM  
Blogger knitfriendly said...

No color difference noted here! I am impressed with decided to frog the back. We think alike...I would be worried about the dye job as well. And you have good reason to be. My friend had a similar problem and and she has gone through three dye jobs with horrible results. She had to buy this HUGE (100 gal) pot and is going to try a fourth time. Believe it or not, you most likely are saving yourself a lot of time! :)

12:57 PM  
Blogger f. pea said...

so... i can't see it. and i have my glasses on and everything! maybe it's the photos?? i would be terribly picky about such things as well. i hope olgita is also an expert dyer...

3:01 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

It took me ages and ages to see the difference, and I'm not just saying that to make you feel better. I think that it's looking fantastic, I love the texture.

9:35 PM  
Blogger OLGAJAZZY said...

911 what's your knitting emergency? How can I help you? Remain calm, it is all going to be ok. I know it will and I am glad that you Palomita had the desire and fearless desire to make your knits perfect. For that I take pride in you!
Hurah!!

1:31 PM  
Blogger iSeL said...

It's really hard to tell from the pictures, but even if the two sides are slightly different nobody is going to notice it but you. Forget about it and enjoy your knitting!

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't tell you just how exactly I have been where you are. I kept going, and I tried to overdye the whole thing but it honestly seems to have had no effect at all. The good news is that I actually notice the color difference far less than I thought I would. I think you probably made the right decisions with yours, though. It's looking great!

5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home