Monday, March 12, 2007

Goodies to/from Argentina

I left Argentina when I was 9. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. By far. I hated leaving my grandparents, uncles, aunts and cousins behind, and even begged my parents to let me stay and live with my grandparents. I have gone back three times, and leaving them does not get any easier. That is why I hate going back to Argentina.
Thankfully in the age of technology and instant everything, we are able to communicate far better than I have ever imagined. I still get veclemped when they call, or when they send me a picture, cause I miss them so much. Thes pictures of them and the handknitted gifts I sent them really choked me up.

Model: My grandmother - the cutests, bestest grandmother ever. I used to spend every weekend with her and my grandfather running around in their backyard and eating her home made meals. Man I miss her. But isn't she the CUTEST?!
Pattern: Clutch from Handknit Holidays.
Yarn: left over yarn from my Somewhat Cowl. Comments: I actually really liked this pattern. I just had a hard time hand sewing the zipper in, and I wish I could use my little sewing machine to line it, but I cannot get the tension right on the thread. I want to make the bag for myself, I just need to find the time to do it.

Model: My tio Roberto. He is my dad's older brother, and one of the few men that I know that can pull off a pink vest. Pattern: my own mock stitch pattern. Yarn: Patons's Merino Wool in Gray.

Model: My Tio Mario. The youngest one of the three brothers. He is a really good photographer and I have the best pictures of him and I when I was a baby. Also super cute man. ( and not an alcoholic - he shared the beer with my dad :) ) Pattern: Coronet from Knitty Yarn: Lamb's Wool in a chocolate brown ( I don't remember the color right now). Model: Tia Gladys (tio Mario's wife) Not only does she look half my age (arghhh!) she is one the coolest ladies I know. She is always calm, patient, and just so much fun to be around. It was her birthday while my dad was there - therefore she got two gifts. Pattern: Fetching from Knitty and Calorimetry also from Knitty. Yarn: Lamb's Wool in seafoam for Fetching, and Seafoam and another color I had leftover from the robots for Colimetry. (don't judge for the lack of information - I was in a hurry to get these out the door before my dad left on his trip and I did not write anything down.)

Apparently the gifts were a huge success, and the talent appreciated. So, what did I get back from Argentina?

YARNNNN!!!

My dad brought me back this:

It is 100% wool, gorgeous and chocolaty brown lovelyness!
My tio Roberto sent this yummy goodness:
Llama (how the heck do you spell that?), in three different shades and I am in love with all of it. He even sent me the email address of the woman he bought it from in case I want to contact her.

Mario and Gladys sent me this gorgeous necklace, that is woven somehow, with the matching earrings.
I really cannot wait to see them all. I am thinking I will go and visit for my birthday next year. That just seems so far away.
Ok, as far as knitting is going. I still do it. :) I am working on that Phildar jacket, and I am completely annoyed by it. I will blog about it later this week, but I will leave you with a little teaser:
Who would have thought Paton's dye lots would be so radically different?







Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Macoco said...

This post about your family is so sweet! And your grandmother is incredibly cute! You're right, not many men can pull off a pink vest, but Roberto totally rocks that vest - and the scarf too.

Great job on all of those gifts - what a lucky family.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

What a gorgeous family! Great gifts- they seem to match the recipients perfectly. And the yarn. Oh my god the yarn. What a fabulous necklace,too. I'll bet you get compliments every time you wear it.

1:03 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

How wonderful to see your knitted gifts being appreciated. And the yarn gifts for yourself... mmmmmmm.

7:47 PM  
Blogger lanas y tramas said...

Qué lindo post Paloma, me encantó cómo relataste cada foto y muy lindos los regalos!!!! Se debe extrañar mucho a la familia, especialmente a los abuelos, yo lo veo con mis hijos, es un lazo muy importante. Ojalá puedas venir el año que viene!!!

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, dye lots. Their cruelty knows no bounds.

How wonderful to see your gifts so appreciated (and how equally wonderful to have them reciprocated!). That necklace is unbelievable.

6:36 PM  
Blogger f. pea said...

I love the family pictures! Such wonderful people. That necklace is amazing... drool! They love you SOOO much.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Gaby said...

Paloma, que lindos regalitos tejiste! Buenisima la lana de llama :)
Ojalá puedas venir a Bs.As.!

8:52 AM  
Blogger OLGAJAZZY said...

Ahh, your family is the cutest ever, your dad was so smart taking pictures when they were receiving their knit gifts from you!!! The joy on their faces! And just a stash you got! Rock on it girl!!!
Muuuaaaah!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You're so organized! When did you get started on all these gifts? Love the pendant. Let's see the earrings.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Jade said...

Wow, great job on those gifts. And the best part? They appreciated it so much they give you more yarns!! Woo hoo.

Beautiful and very unique pendant!

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home